Pages - Menu

Sunday, February 1, 2009

new kernel not appearing in menu.lst

I updated to the latest Intrepid kernel, and when debconf asked if I wished to upgrade my menu.lst, I accidentally answered "Keep Current Version" instead of "Install Package Maintainer's Version", so the entry for the old kernel didn't appear in the boot list.

A sudo update-grub wouldn't fix it, though I found an open Launchpad Bug, in which it's suggested to rename your menu.lst, and update-grub again.

So,
sudo mv /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.old
sudo update-grub
and I'm back in business!

This does however mean I have to setup custom entries I had before, such as my no splash, my vga parameter, and the chainloader into the Windows partition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always choose to keep the current version. Then I edit menu.lst with vim, and add the relevant line. I like to customize my menu.lst, with small things like changing the display name of the kernels, or removing the "single user" entries for all but one kernel, so I prefer the hassle of adding the new entry by hand to the hassle of repeating the customization over and over.